Sunday, October 23, 2011

I am given copy of King James bible.

Today at church I was gifted with a beautiful King James bible in large print.  This entire year is being observed as the 400th anniversary of this most famous and endeared English translation of the bible Many versions have been published since then and it seems that more translations are coming almost weekly, but the King James, or the Revised Standard Version, are the ones most familiar to me and other elderly people.

I have spent only moments reading in my new bible but it is so familiar to me that it is comforting.  I have no problem with new and, in come cases, more accurate,  translations, but I think it is silly to make changes in such familiar passages as, for example, John 3:16 and the 23rd psalm that we recited in our childhood/

No comments:

Post a Comment