Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My experience with chewing tobacco

While spending this nation into bankruptcy, Congress ( actually four  Democrat senators)  found time to push professional baseball to ban use of tobacco products by players.  The idea is that thousands of kids will take up chewing tobacco because a player is seen using it.  Tobacco is still legal, is it not?

I coached and managed many boys in American Legion baseball and to my knowledge not one was tempted to use tobacco.  I agree that chewing tobacco and dipping snuff are disgusting but one of my fond baseball memories is of Nellie Fox standing in the batter's box, shifting a big wad  from jaw to jaw while he wiggled his behind and his bat.

I chewed tobacco once, and by once I mean one time.  I was six years old, riding the school bus, when I was given a piece cut from a plug.  I put it in my mouth and out it came; I spit right on a grown girl's nice white skirt.  She slapped me so hard  I fell over.  I've never had chewing tobacco in my mouth since.

1 comment:

  1. Tobacco products are made entirely or partly of leaf tobacco as raw material, which are intended to be smoked, sucked, chewed or snuffed.

    ReplyDelete