Monday, July 11, 2011

August 3 -- just hearing that date brings back memories

I got a call from the doctor's office reminding me that Dr. Davis, after our session in June, wanted to see me again in a month to decide on a heart cath, which he recommends.  The appointment is set for August 3. That date kept staying in my mind and I decided it must have a special meaning.  I checked the postings in August of last year and there it was -- that day the USS Pickens arrived in San Francisco to take on troops for the first phase of the invasion of Japan.

It is only in the last few years that I gave any thought to the time I spent in service.  Like other aspects of my life, it was past and only the present and future interested me.  Now I have thought about it a lot and I have enjoyed becoming acquainted with some former shipmates and sons and grandsons of  shipmates.  About this time in July we had been to Noumea, New Caledonia,(last year I reported on my wild experience there) crossed the equator, been initiated as shell backs, and were on our way from Saipan to San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment