Sunday, July 10, 2011

We CAN compete and We MUST compete with the world

During one of my less alert moments I got roped in to serve on a Gallup panel, responding to all types of surveys, the first of which I completed today.  You can imagine the type of questions -- do I think the nation is on the right track; am I satisfied with  Barack's performance; the same for Congress.  In assessing our worst problems I gave high scores to our debit and our debt, but I reserved the highest mark for our lack of job creation.  If we can provide jobs the problem with our finances will improve, too.

How do we assist the private sector in adding jobs?  To start, we know that everything the Obama team has done, including the stimulus, has not succeeded.  While most jobs are created by small businesses, these operations need the major corporations as suppliers and customers.  We must make it more profitable for corporations to operate in this country than overseas, bringing jobs back home.  Once we could not compete for certain jobs because of the difference in wages.  But now, start up an auto assembly plant and offer even l2 to 15 dollars an hour and watch thousands apply.

I have been screaming for months that we should work to become self-sufficient in energy. That would put millions to work.  There are ways we can make conditions favorable to job creation.  We must be willing and determined to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment