Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hot, Hot Drouth Causes Discomfort

Is this extraordinary heat, even for July, caused by all the hot air being blasted from Washington?

Yesterday I went to Brookshires to pick up a prescription and when the heat hit me, I got dizzy and weak and worried whether I could make it to the cool air in the store.

I didn't even try to have a garden this year, but didn't intend to let my few flowers fade away and my lawn die, but I have just given up.  The next plants to give up could be the big trees in the backyard.  The dogwood died in last summer's dry spell.

As a kid on the farm I worked in this kind of weather and  then had to try to sleep in a hot house.  I remember that sometimes we would learn of a neighbor passing out in the field.  At least now most people who must work outside in this oven can  sleep in a cool house.  Thank the Lord for air conditioning.  Old people are especially in danger if they don't have fans at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment