Wednesday, July 29, 2015

How I earned my F.I.B.


Even though my memory is full of holes, I am convinced that during my time in the Navy, I was called on to serve on more than my share of working parties. Some times we worked long hours without food. That did not apply to the party I am remembering here.

I was dizzy and probably had fever as we gathered to descend into  the  LCVP that was to take us.  We were on the deck from which fully loaded Marines had descended to ride the boats to Iwo Jima. As I crawled over to clamber down I fell, either because I was dizzy or careless or both.  I hit the bottom of the boat on my back and right shoulder. The pain was great but worse was I was completely paralyzed.  I thought, "Here I am, not yet 19, and I'll be unable to move a finger all my  life."

The boys in the boat moved me to a more comfortable position and above deck they began rigging a stretcher.   Some feeling returned to my legs and with help I was able to walk the steps on the side of the ship.

I spent a week in sickbay where I had visitors,  two I remember.  The navigator said I survived because I was a good person. The exec promised me if I did not want to go on a working party he would get me off without me needing to fall.

I can't blame my fall on the pain in my back and shoulder but the fall  has part of the blame.

And that's  how I earned my F.I.B. (Fell Into Boat)



1 comment:

  1. Roy, great story. You probably crossed paths at that point with my dad Mark White who was the Xray tech on the Pickens.
    John White

    ReplyDelete