Thursday, February 19, 2015

Remembering Iwo Jima

Yes, I remember Iwo Jima.  I was on deck at a debarkation station where the boats were put into the water.  I remember the Marines climbing down cargo nets into the boats.  And I remember boats coming back to the ship with the wounded.

It was early the morning of February 19, 1945.  I was a radarman but when we unloaded troops I manned a phone at a debarkation station.  I had served this duty when we practiced  the operation.  Everything went fine  then, but when I put on the phones that morning, there was no sound.  I don't remember what action I took, but I soon had phones that worked.

Serving on deck throughout the battle, I was able to see a lot but could not see the Marines as they climbed the volcano hills to face Japanese, who were sheltered by concrete bunkers.  This was the only battle where the Marines had more casualties than the enemy.

Some events in my life I will not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment