Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Just two days from Iwo Jima

Seventy years ago, on  February 17, 1945 the USS Pickens was  two days from Iwo Jima,  being part of a convoy carrying Marines to invade the Japanese island.  Five years ago on this blog I wrote for the first time of my experience.  I plan to observe this anniversary as long as I am able.

We were carrying the Fourth Marine Division, a group composed of veterans of other island campaigns and men who would see action for the first time.  I had a long conversation with a first-timer who was nervous and yet looking forward to combat.  He was optimistic, saying they would take the island in three days.

On board our ship was the noted photographer, Joe Rosenthal, who took the famous picture of the flag raising on Mount Suribachi,  I was on deck and saw the flag go up, come down, and go up again.

I will have more to say by February 19, the day of the landings.

2 comments:

  1. Semper Fi Roy! I'm a Marine who served in the Gulf War 91. My Great Uncle served aboard the USS Pickens with you though. His name was LtCmdr. Ralph W Jack. He was one of the surgeons aboard the Pickens. Do you remember him? I would love to hear from you. I have a book on Iwo Jima that my uncle gave my father in the fall of 1945. And a newspaper article on him from 1974 about how no casualty died once they got to the Pickens.
    Sgt. Scott Baker
    616-399-2275
    hornet232@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your service in the Gulf War. I am always happy to hear from anyone who served or has family who served on the Pickens. I remember very few of my former shipmates. In fact I gave little thought to Iwo Jima or Okinawa until recent years. Thank you for your comments. Stay in touch. (By the way do you have a copy of "The Story of the Pickens)

      Delete