Monday, February 16, 2015

I still feel that way

It was the fall of 1949 and I needed only a few class hours to graduate from LSU.  I decided to take a speech course and enrolled.  Our first day assignment was to deliver a five-minute speech and to help we were given a list of possible topics.  One was why a person should attend Mardi Gras.

I had never attended the festival but I had heard plenty about the lawlessness at parades.  Many  people know me to be a contrarian and would not be surprised that   I spoke  on Why You Should Not Attend Mardi Gras.   Unfortunately, the professor complimented me  and announced that I made the best speech.  As a reward I was to present a panel discussion at our next class.  I had no idea how to proceed and felt my only  course was to drop the class.

I am unable to make a speech to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment