Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Not remembering time in Japan in 1945

I took no notes or pictures of any events during my time in the navy during World War 2 and I cannot remember much if anything about things I wish I could remember.

The USS Pickens was to be among the first to land troops on Japan but when Japan surrendered we were to transport troops there to occupy the country.  While mines were cleared from Nagoya, we waited in an anchorage at the small town of Wakanoura Wan.  Instead of being there a few days, we were at this small town almost a month.  It was there we gave out of food.

I remember we had a drawing or some means of choosing a small group to be the first to visit the town. My only memory is that I was in that group and that the town was a dirty little place with nothing to offer.  I do not remember anything else. Maybe it's best that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment