Thursday, September 25, 2014

Agriculture magazine provides interesting articles

The summer edition of Louisiana Agriculture magazine just hit my desk with featured stories Sugarcane Breeding,  Biofuel Research,  Horseflies and Oil Spill.  I have mentioned more than once that I wish the  state would save its money by removing me from its mailing list.  Nothing against the magazine; it is colorful, printed on glossy paper and  filled with information for agriculture people, which I'm not.

While I've got you  interested, I'll tell you a little about a couple of articles.

Marsh Maneuvers will celebrate 25 years.  This is the program where groups of 4-H'ers spend five days in the marshes, learning their value and what must be done to preserve those areas.  All three of my children who were active 4-H members took part, two of them two times.  They found the experience to be fun and interesting.

The blood sucking nemesis, the Greenhead Horsefly, was decimated by  the oil spill in the Gulf,  giving some the idea that the horsefly could be an indicator of marsh health.  In other words, if the marsh is healthy expect a full crop of the flies.  Other wise, if the flies are scarce, it could mean the marsh has problems.

My experience with horseflies and a mule I was plowing was not scientific, but it was notable!

No comments:

Post a Comment