Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Remembering Iwo Jima

As we get near February 19 my memories of  Iwo Jima freshen, and I have memories that I think will never leave me. Recently, though, I have considered -- is it fair to continue to commemorate certain battles while veterans of present wars -- Iraq and Afghanistan -- are fighting, dieing, and nursing terrible wounds?

I came to this conclusion -- remembering the anniversaries of earlier wars does not take away from the support and care we give, and should give, present day veterans.  Those who fought in World War II, Korea and Vietnam are becoming fewer and fewer.  Let's remember them while they are still with us.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Roy. I sent you an e mail about a week ago. One of your earlier blog entries was seen by the grandson of Chaplain Neil Danberg of the USS Pickens. He contacted me and I was able to send him a lot of information and photos about the ship to share with his family and, surprisingly, a photo of my father Mark White along side of Chaplain Danberg. Perhaps you had a chance to make acquaintances with the Chaplain?
    Hope all is well.
    John White

    ReplyDelete