Tuesday, December 31, 2013

First -- Don't fall

That's the cardinal rule for the elderly (I hate that word.)  I admonish myself when I get up to avoid falling, but Monday I tripped and fell hard on my right knee.  I had to call for help to get up again.  This was  my first fall in more than a year when I fell and injured my left shoulder.

Seriousness of a fall depends upon the severity of the resulting injury, if any.  A friend was visiting a relative and had arrived at the front door when he stepped on a piece of concrete and fell hard.  He suffered a lot of pain and later found that he had broken his neck.  He is recovering but he has had a rough time.

The fall that breaks a hip is the one we mature people fear the most; it seems to lead to death often although miracles of treatment are now possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment