Saturday, September 21, 2013

My best cup of coffee

The months we were on the "Magic Carpet," bringing home troops from the South Pacific, the Pickens would be in San Francisco only long enough between trips to take on supplies and take care of maintenance.That involved moving the ship from its anchorage to Moore's Dry Dock.

I returned from liberty one night and was informed the ship had moved to the dry dock and I was given directions how to reach the ship.  Fog had rolled in and visibility was near zero.  As I walked along I was by myself and began to fear I was lost in the fog and would be unable to find the ship. At this time I saw a glow in the fog, followed it and came to a little cafe.  I went in and ordered a coffee.  Now, keep in mind while the navy runs on coffee, I never drank it, but that coffee was the best thing I had ever put in my mouth.  I found out I was on the right street to reach the ship.  I never drank coffee again while in the navy and didn't become a coffee drinker until editing a newspaper.  That is still the best coffee I ever drank.

No comments:

Post a Comment