Monday, September 23, 2013

Egyptians -- why invent algebra -- build more pyramids

Without any effort my thoughts can seem strange at times.  I was regretting that I have never read Pilgrim's Progress or Dante's Inferno when from nowhere came the idea that I do not know algebra well enough to solve quadratic equations.

Actually it is not the first time I've had that thought. When I went to Baton Rouge to help recruit industry,  I had idle time and went to the library, picked up an elementary algebra book, tried to work some problems, gave up and never returned. .How did the Egyptians find time to develop algebra and build all those pyramids?

So I've got you dying to look into algebra -- what kind will you choose?

Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, Islamic, European, modern, or some other?

No comments:

Post a Comment