Monday, July 8, 2013

Gardens supply vegetables in summer

We are in the middle of summer and typically it is hot and dry, but these first days of July are not as hot as this time last year.  Jen and I were in Branson this time a year ago and had to suffer though l00 degree weather every day.  I came close to passing out several times as the heat caused my blood pressure to drop.

One thing about this summer I really miss is gathering fruits and vegetables from the garden.  While the summer weather is unpleasant, the garden rewards you for all the work done earlier.  That is, if you have a garden, which I was unable to manage this year.

My dad was born in July and always claimed this to be the best month of the year, with not only a wide variety of vegetables but plenty of water melons, cantaloupes and figs. While many people consider cantaloupe a breakfast fruit, we ate them with our peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment