Friday, December 7, 2012

December 7 -- 71 years ago

It is becoming fainter and fainter but I still remember that I was in the backyard that Sunday afternoon, December 7, when someone in the house, having heard it on the radio,  shouted that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor.  I was 15 that momentous day but I knew my life would never be the same.

As I mentioned last year, this nation paid a huge price for being unprepared.  We had almost no trained army, depending upon the navy to protect us.  Why  then, did we have so much of our navy anchored at Pearl and vulnerable?  The navy partly recovered and we held our own at the Battle of Coral Sea.  Our navy scored a big victory at Midway and, while much fighting and loss of life was ahead, Japan was on the defensive from that time on.

No comments:

Post a Comment