Friday, September 21, 2012

Goodbye to two Homerites

Even though it has been 41 years since I edited the Homer newspaper, the Guardian-Journal, I receive the newspaper as a gift subscription.  Since many of the people in the news are unknown to me, I spend only a few minutes reading it. One section I always check is  the obituaries.  This week the deaths of two people were of special interest to me.

Glen Bays, former administrator of the Homer Memorial Hospital, began at the hospital as an X-ray and lab technician just one month after I began at the newspaper.  He  served for a number of years as the administrator, and  he was the administrator during the time the board resigned and I, as mayor, had to make decisions  for the hospital until I could appoint a new board.

I knew Patsy Cook Lynch, but I was much more involved with her brothers Bob and Bill, both of whom preceded her in death.  Bobby worked at the Guardian-Journal for about 15 years during my time there.  He once wrote a highly complimentary article about me.  Billy was one of my "running buddies," and worked as storekeeper for the Town of Homer.

No comments:

Post a Comment