Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Today is 67th anniversary of VJ Day

I wrote about my activities on this day extensively two years ago and again last year so I plan to be briefer today. The USS Pickens was in San Francisco taking aboard troops to invade Japan. I had left the ship on a rare liberty (I had been standing double watches because some had leave) and entered a restaurant where I was seated at a table with strangers.  The restaurant let me in but shut the doors and closed.

Excitement was in the air as rumors floated that Japan could be surrendering.  President Truman confirmed that Japanese leaders had agreed to surrender terms. Streets and sidewalks quickly filled with people going wild in their celebrations.  A girl grabbed my hat and ran; I had to chase her down to get it back because the shore patrol was eagerly arresting sailors for being out of uniform.  As people got more and more exuberant I could not share their excitement.  I had been spared from invading Japan and likely losing my life but I had sort of a let-down feeling; the occasion was too important to celebrate the way it was being done.  I left and returned to the ship.  A few days later we headed for Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment