Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Don't trim that rose bush -- there's a wasp nest

That was my wife warning me that wasps had built a nest at the top of a window above a rose bush. I have to admit I'm careful about wasps; I'm very allergic to the poison in their stings.

I was not always so allergic although of course any sting hurt and caused swelling.  I've been told I was just a toddler when I had my first adventure with a wasp.  I picked up a wasp I thought was dead and threatened my sister, who was less than two years older than I. While I chased her the wasp "stung me on my winger."

Everyone thought it was funny the first time both of my eyes swelled shut after I was stung and I  had to be led around. After that every time I was stung by a wasp or by a bee my face would swell so bad my eyes would be closed and I could not see for hours or days. I learned a wasp can fly faster than I can run when one chased me down and stung me on the temple.

Yes, I agree that wasps are a helpful insect in some ways and I am agreeable to leave them  alone if they will stay away from me. Years ago I went to call on a man and knocked on what I took to be his front door. He came out another door and said "we aren't using this door," and he pointed to a nest almost the size of a saucer covered with hundreds of red wasps.  I shiver when I remember and think how close I  may have come to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment