Monday, August 20, 2012

Memories of August 1945

August 1945 was eventful for the nation, the USS Pickens, and me personally.  We had arrived in San Francisco August 3; an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima August 6 and a second bomb hit Nagasaki August 9, with the result that Japan surrendered August 14.  We left August 24 with the Blackhawk Division on board, but instead of invading Japan we took them to the Philippines and took on board the troops that had been occupying those islands, then took them to Japan.  I have written the past two years about how all the activities and events caused me to forget my 19th birthday August 21.

We visited the Philippines several times but I have no memories whatsoever of any of the visits.  I even have a bunch of snapshots taken in the islands, but not only am I not in any of the pictures I have no idea who gave them to me or why.

I am no different from 95 per cent of veterans; we had no interest in remembering our experiences or talking to family about them.  Mark White, father of John White, was different.  He was the ship's photographer and kept not only pictures but other material and his own writings.  John has kindly made much of this available to Pickens crew members.

Best wishes to all as I observe my last day of being 85 years old.

1 comment: