Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm 86 today

Yes, today is my birthday, and while I hurt in many ways I am thankful that God has given me these many days.  I hope that I will learn to take pleasure in those things I can do and refuse to lament the things I cannot do.

Obviously, I cannot remember the day I was born, but I heard about it several times from my mother. I think she never got over being angry at Dad and the doctor for eating watermelon while she was hurting.  I've mentioned how there were so many of us children that birthdays were barely noticed.  The kid whose birthday it was got to pick the kind of cake we would have on the nearest Sunday.

I have written before about missing my 19th birthday due to all the excitement about Japan surrendering and the USS Pickens heading for Japan but stopping in the Philippines.  I don't understand why I didn't receive at least a card from home, but they probably forgot it, also. They had to be overjoyed that Japan had surrendered and I would not have to invade Japan.  From the time I entered  the navy until my discharge, I never received a leave.

Several relatives and friends have birthdays this month.  I want to wish Frank Cascio, my brother-in-law, happy birthday Wednesday, August 22.  Mark White, a former shipmate who I have learned to know through his son John, would have been 99 tomorrow.  Oliver Roy Lowe, our youngest grandson, will be one August 31.  Jen and I plan to be there to help him celebrate.  He is such a happy kid, always smiling.

1 comment: