Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My first and last chew of tobacco.

I never smoked cigarettes but there was a time years ago that I enjoyed an occasional cigar.  I never had a desire to dip snuff, but there was one time I tried chewing tobacco.  My first time was also my last.  It was this way.

I was six years old but I was sitting in the back of the school bus with some practically adult boys and girls. One boy brought out a plug of tobacco which he shared with his friends.  Responding to my begging, he cut a chunk off and gave it to me.  I put it in my mouth and began to chew.  My mouth quickly filled and I was faced with swallowing the tobacco or spitting it out.  I chose to spit and it landed on the white skirt of a girl, who immediately slapped me hard.  I haven't chewed tobacco since.

No comments:

Post a Comment