Monday, May 14, 2012

O for a thousand tongues to sing

0 for a thousand tongues to sing
my Great Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of his grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
assist me to proclaim,
to spread through all the earth abroad
the honors of thy name.





No one would consider me an expert on great literature, but in my opinion this hymn is the greatest poem ever penned by Charles Wesley  He wrote it in celebration of the first anniversary of his conversion to Christianity. What we   now  sing as the first verse was the seventh stanza in his original poem.

Some Methodist churches sing stanzas of the song every Sunday.  When we sang it on Mother's Day, it was the first time in months.  Hopefully, it won't be that long before we sing it again.













No comments:

Post a Comment