Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I question the merger

Let me acknodledge first off that all I know about the proposed Louisiana Tech (merger)  takeover of LSU Shreveport is from the local media, and that is not much. That's one of the problems with this proposal. There are many questions and I haven't seen any answers.  How will this benefit Louisiana Tech? How will it benefit LSUS? What will be the benefits to Shreveport and surroundig area?  This is if there are any benefits.

I was on the staff of the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce in the 1970's when the primary effort was to make LSU Shreveport into a four-year university.  Shreveport officials, the chamber, and other community leaders worked diligently and eventually were successful in spite of opposition primarily from Louisiana Tech.  That opposition  never slackened and LSUS had to battle to protect  its ability to grant certain graduate degrees this community needed.

Over a period of several years I took l graduate courses in history and liberal arts though limited by health problems. I  am positive that the history department was as competent as any in this state, but because of Tech's opposition, it was unable to award a masters in history. I enjoyed the contact I had with other students and the faculty.  I cannot remember any  student who was not working part or full time while pursuing a degree.

One of my sons got his undergraduate, masters and certification degrees at LSUS. This was possible only because a four-year university is located in Shreveport.

Many  more investigations and studies should be done before the drastic action of a "merger" is undertaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment