Friday, May 25, 2012

Will newspapers survive?

Or will they join clay tablets on the dust heap of history?  Okay, that is taking too far the response to the announcement that the venerable New Orleans Times-Picayune will go from publishing daily to three times a week.  Founded in 1837, the Picayune has chronicled not only life of New Orleans but has had tremendous influence on Louisiana government and  the state.

As a former newspaperman I am especially sad to see  that  newspapers have come to be a minor player in the presentation of news.  I subscribe to the Shreveport Times out of habit but I spend only a few minutes with it each day and certainly do not get national news from it.  Television  challenged newspapers by being first with news events but papers were relied on for the complete story.  Today, though, any and everybody can go on the internet and become a news source.

I think back to my time at LSU years ago.  The Field House had the Picayune, the Morning Advocate, and other morning papers.  By noon copies of the New Orleans State Times and the Item were available. As LSU fans we had a feast of sports articles to enjoy.  Now,  students turn to the computer and the I-pad for their news.  Change comes and we must adapt, but it still makes me sad to see old friends or old enemies pass away.


No comments:

Post a Comment