Friday, April 13, 2012

Do not give your wife a George Foreman grill

on any kitchen appliance for her birthday.

Because I am unable to  engage in the physical activities, such as gardening, that I want to, I have almost worn out a Kindle reading free novels -- none of which is in danger of becoming a classic.  I occasionally read something that stirs memories or makes me think.

A former boss and friend, now no longer  living, told us about giving his wife an iron for her birthday in the first years of their marriage.  To say that she was angry is a vast understatement; in fact years later she would still get angry every time she thought about it. My friend said that from that time on he gave her diamonds.

While men are more likely to be practical and women to be romantic, there are exceptions.  During the depression when money was scarce,  a friend had just been  paid for some carpenter work.  He took part of the money and bought his wife, my cousin, a new dress.  Instead of being pleased, she scolded him --they had bills to pay, the baby had needs, and they had to buy groceries.  My cousin was still angry when she told her mother about it.  Instead of supporting her daughter, my aunt chewed her out.  She made her apologize and said whenever her husband gave her a gift or did some other nice thing, she should show her appreciation and never found fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment