Thursday, January 12, 2012

Just another cat story

We almost always had cats; I can remember only once we were catless, and we cured that by returning from a visit in Waldo, Ark. with two baby kittens.  Cats are useful on the farm and are expected to earn their own food by catching mice and gophers.  They would sometimes capture a Purple Martin, a criminal action according  to my dad.

Cats might  climb up on the screen door at the back porch but Mama never let one in the house.  There were other buildings on the place they could reside in when weather was bad.  That was before a big male cat showed up and decided he had found a home.  Mama bought him canned cat food and never fussed when he opened the door and walked in the house.

One Sunday afternoon we were visiting and I was sitting in a rocking chair.  The cat walked in, charged up to me and jumped into my lap, his sharp claws pricking me.  As I tried to get him off of me, Mama said "You're sitting in his chair."  I was the one who had to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment