Sunday, January 15, 2012

I sometimes complain about the hymn selection for our church services so it is only fair that I praise the song service we had today.  We opened with "To God  Be the Glory," with "In the Garden" coming later.  The choir anthem was "Near to the Heart of God," and we later sang "Rescue the Perishing" and closed with "Blessed Assurance."

The only hymn to challenge "In the Garden" for popularity is "The Old Rugged Cross"  so it is surprising that some groups have tried to get it out of hymnals.  The Methodist committee that selected the songs for the most recent hymnal battled over keeping this loved hymn.   The late Lewis Grizzard  said the most mail if ever received was in response to his defense of this song.  Let's hope it is never lost to and for us.

                         And He walks with me and He talks with me,
                         And He tells me I am his own;
                         And the joy we share as we tarry there,
                         None other has ever knoown.
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment