Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Friend sends me history of USS Pickens

Christmas is over but I have just received a great gift. John White, son of a former shipmate, has sent me a copy of the history of the USS Pickens, APA 190.  John has sent me material several times that he received and saved  from his father, the late Mark White.  Mark was a pharmacist mate,  ship photographer and beach party member. He also became friends with Joe Rosenthal, who traveled to Iwo Jima on our ship. Joe, of course, took the famous picture of the flag raising.

I have been searching for the ship history for several years.  Somehow I have misplaced it along with two navy discharges (first from active duty in 1946 and second from naval reserves  in 1964) and  my notice of separation. Several years ago I gave  an oral history to the Norton Art Museum and sometime later the museum posted pictures and a summary on the internet. I found it by chance one day.  It can by accessed as roy lowe -- navy.

Thanks a lot, John. This means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment