Thursday, December 29, 2011

Granddaughter enjoys turnip greens -- smart kid

Turkey, baked ham, yams and all that goes with them make holidays special, but one can get tired  of them, so my wife wasn't surprised when I called her at the grocery story and asked her to get some turnip greens or steak-- something different.  She got and cooked both.  Not everyone in my family likes greens but I looked at my two-year-old granddaughter and she was shoveling them in by fork load.

I was an adult before I could enjoy mustard, turnip or collards.  I remember a day when my dad, my brother and I had been sawing wood all day.  Dad said, "I'm so hungry I could eat turnip greens tonight."  I thought a moment and surprised my self  by saying, "I can too."

My youngest sister, Carol, accompanied by a friend, made her first trip home from LSU.  They sat down for supper and Carol turned to mama and asked,  " Don't you have any turnip greens?"  Before this she had always refused to eat them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment