Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The story of Jessica's cat

My two year old granddaughter Lily and I were feeding Sarah the cat this morning, calling her from the garage from where she walked slowly and sedately to greet us.  It occurred to me that Sarah is no young kitten.  She came to us as a stray more than l5 years ago, obviously pregnant, and the kids prevailed on us to keep her, making her a home in the utility room. (Years later after we consigned her to the outdoors, she makes an effort to dash into the house when a door is opened.)

Lily and I returned to the living room and I asked for help in remembering what had happened to the litter of kittens. Josh, Mark and Jessica together re-called their names -- first born was named Uno, and others took the names of Dharma, Precious, Phantom, Poptart, and Runt.  One by one they were adopted,  leaving two, Poptart and Uno.Then there was one as Poptart was careless and tragically was killed by my car. 

The following Sunday I was puzzled when several people who had attended early service greeted me with "I'm sorry to hear about Jessica's cat.."   It became clear when at the 11 o'clock service during the part of the service dedicated to Joys and Concerns, prayers were asked for Jessica's cat.  She was about five at the time, 16 years ago.

Sarah had no more litters; we saw to that, but she is still around, almost like a dog as she always goes to meet us whether we arrive walking or in a car. Oh, Uno stayed with us awhile but never returned from one of his nocturnal rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment