Monday, December 5, 2011

The gift of the wagon

I read that some company is offering for rent children's toys for Christmas giving. Not a bad idea.  Most kids today are gifted with an abundance of toys, especially if in addition to parents they have doting uncles and aunts. The kids, especially the younger children, excitedly receive the toys, play with them awhile, and soon grow tired of them.  In a few days some toys are broken and some are discarded.  A month later most can not name the toys they received.

On the other hand if you enjoyed only a few toys in your childhood,  you may be able to look back and remember them,   The first toy I remember was a wagon.  I don't know how old I was but I am sure I was not yet six.  Toys were rare after the bank failures of 1932, which took all our money.  I'm sure I was excited with  the wagon but I already had a wagon and rushed out to see it and compare it to my new wagon.  It was gone and my parents explained that it had been given to Santa so he could give it to another little boy and make his Christmas happy.  I could accept that, but I wished I could have seen them side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment