Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thoughts that come on a beautiful day

Another beautiful fall day.  November can be sunny and pleasantly warm or cool, but it can also be cold and wet.  Thinking back to my childhood and days on the farm we would be fully engaged in picking cotton, harvesting corn, peanuts, sweet potatoes, and hay.  Cutting sugar cane and making syrup would usually be done around Thanksgiving on into early December.

I didn't have a garden this summer so have no late vegetables to harvest.  I look out my front door and see the ground covered with pears  which ripened and fell at the slightest breeze.  I usually make pear preserves and/or pear relish but have been too lazy and with too many pains to take advantage of an abundant crop, letting them go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment