Sunday, August 28, 2011

A word about hymns and mission work

                    I love to tell the story,
                    'twill be my theme in glory,
                    to tell the old, old story
                    of Jesus and his love.

I liked the selection of songs at church this morning, which was observed as promotion Sunday for children. Maybe I am childish in my choice of music; maybe I like the songs because they are easy to sing, or maybe I enjoyed them and don't care why.

If you are going to recognize children you have to lead off with "Jesus Loves Me."  We also sang " I Love to Tell the Story," and "God  Will Take Care of  You."  The choir sang "Oh, How He Loves You and Me."

For one of our community sings I wish we could devote an hour to singing nothing but songs by that famous blind lady, Fanny Crosby.  After all, there are plenty to choose from since she wrote more than 8,000. Some that would be included would have to be "Blessed Assurance," also "Rescue the Perishing,"  "All the Way My
Savior Leads Me," "I Am Thine, Oh Lord," and  "Pass Me Not, Oh Gentle Savior."

In Sunday School today I told the story of the conversion of E. Stanley Jones, the famous missionary who devoted years to service in India.  My wife then handed me  a letter from the son of Larry Smith, her co-worker.  Smith and his family have served as missionaries in India for years.  He told of a visit to a community of eunuchs, taking to this miserable group the salvation offered by Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment