Friday, August 26, 2011

I wasn't expecting a test for dementia

Went to family doctor Thursday on appointment made by cardiologist.  The nurse took my vitals then took a pad and said she was going to ask me some questions.  expected health questions but as she began I was puzzled at what she was asking and questioned the reason.  She said it was a test for dementia.  I was angry but I  went along with it. Some questions were for  a baby, like identifying drawings of a lion, hippo and camel.  I had to count downward from a hundred by sevens, repeat word for word long statements, draw a cube, name as many words starting with F as possible in two minutes, for example.  I wondered what the hell was going on and even called my wife to ask if she was responsible for this.  When the doctor came in I asked for an explanation.  H said they are giving these tests once a year to people 65 and older.  Plus, he said I passed with flying colors, no evidence of the onset of dementia.

Look, I know dementia is no laughing matter; it is an awful condition and can afflict anyone at any time.  Pat Summitt, the famous coach of the Tennessee women's basketball team recently announced she has dementia but will keep on coaching,  I don't mind being tested; the way it was done was such a shock to me.  As I said, the cardiologist had sent me to the doctor after the heart cath did not show blockage in the three bypasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment