Sunday, June 12, 2011

A salute to Joe Guillery, barber and friend

Joe Guillery, my barber for more than 30 years, has died.  Joe was more than a barber; he was a friend. Joe had little formal education but he was well informed and could discuss any topic, especially history and politics. My last visit with him he was especially talkative, hardly having time to cut my hair.   He was constantly researching and recently was reviewing the history of some cemeteries.  As he came across with some information that interested him, he would write it in a notebook and could refer to it at any time.  He was responsible for putting Norton Gallery in touch with me to be interviewed for their oral history collection.

All four of our boys got their first barbershop hair cuts from Joe.  Later I would take all four boys with me and we all would get our hair cut.  Joe gave me a special price, 25 dollars for all five of us.  He had an old-time  penny gum machine and would reward each boy with some pennies after he had gotten his hair cut..Joe will be missed by his customers and many other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment