Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sunday Is Sixty-Sixth Anniverary of Victory in Europe Day

B. M. Butters, a former shipmate, sent me some old pictures he had made years ago on the Pickens. Even  if I could see real clear pictures of my shipmates, I doubt I could name any of them.  After leaving the Pickens to be discharged, I never again saw a shipmate.

However, I am reminded that Sunday, May 8, is VE Day, the 66th anniversary of Germany's surrender and the end of World War II in Europe.  I was in the South Pacific at the time and I cannot remember if we knew about it at the time and whether we celebrated in any way.  The battle for Okinawa, with all its casualties, was going on and General McArthur (I shall return) was still battling the Japanese in the Philippines.  The United States was gearing up to invade Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment