Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bread Made from Weevil Leavings Would Stink up the Ship

I didn't think about it at the time but now it is obvious that I was sent on more than my share of working parties.
Several times I was called upon to spend all night at a depot in Guam loading on food supplies.  Though surrendered by canned foods like fruits and turkey, I could get access because I would forget to bring my knife that had a can opener blade.  I particularly remember one occasion.  We were told to take to the boats some burlap bags of flour.  I called to the attention of the officer in charge that the flour was filled with adult beetles and larva, thus unfit for consumption.  His response was "load it on!"  No matter how many weevils were sifted out, the bread stunk while being baked and was inedible.  Often I would see what we had to eat for supper, turn around and just hope maybe beans or dehydrated eggs would be served at breakfast.  After I got home and was telling about how poor our food was most of the time, my mother  said they did without many things but would be cheerful because they took comfort in the belief that servicemen were being well fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment