Saturday, March 19, 2011

I Have a Bad Ear Affliction

I've got an ear problem, actually an affliction.  No, not what you may be thinking.  It is that I have noticed how ugly and out of place they are sticking out on both sides of the head.  My problem started with Charles Krauthammer, one of my favorite commentators, when one night I became aware of  how large and funny shaped his ears are. Then I went and looked in the mirror and to my horror I saw as never before how large and out of place my own ears look. Now I find myself staring at ears instead of seeing the individual.

This has become almost painful.  I think everyone  sees ears as something foreign to his face but becomes so accustomed to the appendages that they are not brought to mind.  The unattractiveness of ears may be why men like for women to wear hair curling down below their shoulders and covering those ears.  I recently saw  a picture of  Valerie Bertinelli on the cover of Good Housekeeping.  Her face was beautiful in part because her hair completely hid her ears.  When they can't cover their ears many women like to decorate them with earrings, bangles and dangles in a vain effort to hide.

Mark Twain tells of being afflicted by a tune, or was it a rime, that he got free of by passing it on to someone else.  I decided to write about this in hopes it will cure me, although I don't wish this on any of you who read this.
But suppose I am cured of this affliction only to become fixated on noses?  What a downer that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment