Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Few Words about Isaac Watts and Other Things

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Just one verse from one of the greatest hymns in Christendom, one of 697 by the amazing Isaac Watts.  Of this song Charles Wesley said he would have given up all his hymns to have written this one.  The choir sang this anthem today and I enjoyed the selection of others known from my childhood, including  "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," and "Open My Eyes, That I May See." 

Watts was not only a great poet.  He wrote a textbook on logic that was used for decades and wrote books on metaphysics and astronomy in addition to his preaching and  hymn writing. He was a little man, five feet tall, and had a lingering illness. Throughout his life huge crowds would go to hear him preach.   

(This is a note to Jessica.  People at church were complementing us and taken pride in your accomplishments. Since you grew up in the church, members feel they have part ownership of you and are supportive of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment