Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Little Bird Thinks Spring Is On the Way --Not Yet I Fear

Yesterday  I heard a bird chirping happily as the sun shone warmly for a hour or two.  Today is the middle of winter again, getting colder by the hour and warnings that rain will turn to snow and ice.  This is the type of winter today's children will tell their grand kids, "You should have seen the winters we had when I was a kid," except we may still be having blizzards and freezing cold, if this "man made global warming" doesn't let up. I  don't even feel like looking at seed catalogs (if I had any)  the way we used to do to ease the winter doldrums.

While I don't have catalogs I am looking at an ad from Atwoods, a store in Homer. They are showing Irish seed potatoes, onion sets and plants, rose bushes and assorted fruit trees.  We  used to try to get Irish potatoes planted by Valentines Day, and we would set out onion plants along the same time.  We even planted corn in February some years.  Things will be a little late this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment