Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jessica Retuns to School and Jobs

Jessica left today for Baton Rouge to resume her studies at LSU and her three part-time jobs.  We are going to miss her but are grateful she was able to spend the holidays and several weeks at home. She will try to return for a weekend before Easter.  

 While at home, Jessica acquired her first car.  That is always a big event in life, very similar to getting your first bike.  Although the car is paid far, she will find paying for gas, repairs and insurance will make money tight. I remember my first car although I kept it only two or three weeks.  When I got out of the navy in 1946, cars were  scarce since none were made during the war.  I never even considered buying a car while at school, waiting until I graduated and had a job.   Shortly after going to work  I bought a 1948 used Ford for $895. The car was more used up than used and gave me trouble immediately.  I traded it in for a new 1950 Ford, getting $900 in trade and paying $50 a month for two years for the car and insurance.  In some ways that was the best car I ever had; at least the most  enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment