Monday, November 1, 2010

I Hate the Telephone

Yes, I really hate the phone.  I don't think I was born hating the phone, but I have hated it for many years. What brings this about right now are the calls from politicians.  Some even have their wives calling begging for votes.As soon as I answer and I know it is candidate asking for my vote, I hang up, whether it is someone I have planned to vote for or someone for whom I would never consider voting.

My hatred of the phone either began or was intensified when for 20 years I edited a weekly newspaper, which was printed on Wednesday.  I would be concentrating on writing the final front page stories and the phone would ring constantly.  Some woman, it was always a woman in this case, would report that her daughter and granddaughter visited two weeks ago and she wanted it put in the paper.  I would get so frustrated I would be rude and want to throw the phone against the wall.  Women seem to love the phone. I used to know girls who would  be together at school all day but as soon as they arrived home, they would grab the phone and talk for hours.  I hate the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment