Saturday, September 25, 2010

Washington DC Infested with Stink Bugs -- Who's Surprised

We don't have enough to worry about with the economy stinking, now Washington DC has been taken over by  Halyomorpha halys, better known as the common stink bug. Many of us have felt for quite some time that the Obama administration was buggy, so we are not surprised. New York city, on the other hand, is "enjoying" an explosion of tourists, known as Cimex lectalarius, or bed bugs. First the bugs went into homes, next to hotels, and finally to office towers downtown.  And here I've given up my battle with Blissus insularius Barbar, the Southern chinch bug. The bugs and the drouth have jointly killed all my grass, except for a few clumps of crab grass.  At least I do not have to mow and if I get bed bugs I can buy a can  of spray for $19.95.  It could be more difficult, however.  It used to be part of hospitality to give a tramp a bed and food. My dad said that after every such visit, they had to boil not only the bedding but the beds themselves, because the bugs would hide in cracks.

As for bugs in Washington, we have a chance in an election in a few weeks to get rid of some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment