Thursday, June 2, 2016

A beauty contest and a lie

A recent viewing of the segment of the Andy Griffith show where Andy has serious troubles when he is named judge for the Mayberry beauty pageant brought to my memory a beauty contest in Homer many years ago.  We had hired for the summer a girl who was a recent high school graduate headed for college in the fall.

Let's call her E.  She was gullible and we teased her unmercifully.  One afternoon she was bubbling over with excitement as she announced she had been nominated to be a contestant for  Miss Claiborne Parish Farm Bureau queen.  I remarked something like, "That's nice; by the way I''m going to be  a judge for that contest." 

I had no idea the effect that casual remark, a total lie, would have.  E told several of her girlfriends, "I'm going to win because Roy is a judge."

You know what happened.  The contest was held; I was not a judge, and E did not win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment