Saturday, February 27, 2016

Dreaming of early gardening

I have written before that January drags  on and is a long month while February seems  short (even with 29 days)   Before we get days of cold and rain,  most of us will be demanding March bring us flowering plants  and trees.

I miss being able to   dig in the flower beds and start a vegetable  garden.   My memories may be imperfect but I think we used to expect to plant Irish potatoes by Valentine Day.      I can see myself hauling a load of chicken fertilizer to the garden and after beds were made setting out onion plants.  I can't place the dates we planted English peas, beets and similar vegetables. 

Cantalopes     and watermelons required too much space for the garden, but you  can be certain that  when weather permitted, Dad had them planted. Garden corn  was planted early, too.

Of course it was all subject to    rain and temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment