Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Remembering birthdays

My 18th and 19th birthdays came while I was in the Navy.  Note, I did not say celebrated.   I was in the San Diego Naval Hospital the day I became 18.  I was depressed when I informed a nurse that the previous day was my birthday.  She asked me why I had not said anything, that ''we could have had a cake or something."

I was in San Francisco for my 19th birthday.  Japan had surrendered and the Pickens had loaded on troops to occupy Japan.  We stopped in the Philippines and exchanged those  troops  for those occupying those islands.With all the excitement I did  not realize I had become 19 until a week or two after my birthday.

We are not big on birthday celebrations.  My wife surprised me on my  80th with a party attended by relatives and friends.










No comments:

Post a Comment