Friday, August 14, 2015

Japan surrenders

Seventy years ago -- August 14, 1945--  I went on liberty in San Francisco, the first liberty I had enjoyed in weeks as I was standing double watches.  Rumors were flying on the USS Pickens that Hirohito was considering surrendering.   That meant so much for us as we were preparing to invade Japan.

I left the ship and went downtown to find a restaurant.  I heard  yells and shouts  --  President Truman  had spoken on the radio and said Hirohito had agreed to terms of surrender.  How his military would take this was still unknown.

I entered a restaurant and found a waiter was hanging a  closed sign on the door.  I was seated at the only open place with  a family group. I ate and went outside to find people going wild.  A girl grabbed my  hat and ran. I chased her down to get my cap back; I did not want to go to the brig for being out of uniform.

All the celebration left me cold; I thought if the president was right we would avoid more fighting, for which I felt a more serious and dignified celebration was called for.

I went back to the ship to  celebrate with my shipmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment