Thursday, August 27, 2015

It's that time again

Yes, school is starting, but I was not talking about that; I am referring to teachers turning their pupils into salesmen.  My first sales call of this season was by a middle school boy selling cookies.   Usuallly, the sales call includes a colorful pamphlet with pictures of the product.  I asked the price of the cookies; he said it was 17 dollars a tub "but  the tub is real big."

The 17 brought to mind  the time years ago I received a call from the school that my son was in trouble. I discovered the band director was angry that my son had refused to taske orders for 17 dollar baskets of candy because, my son said, the product was overpriced and he would not take advantage of friends.  I solved the problem by making a cash donation.

I wish schools were not allowed to utilize students as salesmen.  If there is a need the school cannot provide, let the parents donate the money rather than give it to some company.  I know some people, including my wife, disagree.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment